[SunHELP] xhost (cont.)

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Mon Jan 20 16:32:02 CST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 01:21:07PM -0500, Markham, Richard wrote:

| Upon trying to automate the xhost entries upon boot within an init
| script

xhost is usually run after logging in, not at startup.

| I find that xhost doesn't make then entries nor does it produce any
| output.
|
| example:
| ~
| #! /bin/sh
|   xhost server1 server2 server2
| ~
|
| I threw in a DISPLAY=server:0.0; export DISPLAY on the first line
| and still no go.

That's definately required.

However, if you really want to do this, a few things to consider --

1) your script needs to run after the X server is started.
   You can force this by giving it the proper names -- I'm going
   to assume that you know how to do this.

2) even root won't have access to the X screen unless you tell it where
   the magic cookies are.

   You can find the magic cookies by logging in remotely and doing this --

      # /usr/ucb/ps -auxwwww | grep Xsun
      root      1207  0.1  0.1  928  616 pts/2    S 16:25:28  0:00 grep Xsun
      root       340  0.0  1.91782418912 ?        S   Jan 19  0:00 /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner -auth /var/dt/A:0-OvayJa

   So the magic cookie file here is /var/dt/A:0-OvayJa.  Note that the
   file name changes ...

   You would then set your XAUTHORITY variable to that value --

      XAUTHORITY=`/usr/ucb/ps -auxwwww | grep '[X]sun' | sed 's/.* //'`
      export XAUTHORITY
      DISPLAY=:0
      export DISPLAY
      xhost

   and even then it wouldn't work, because dtlogin has the X server set to
   refuse any new connections.  This can be changed, but I don't remember
   where ...

   Note that xhost hangs here -- that's probably what you're seeing.

You normally run xhost commands in your personal startup scripts --
.xsession or whatever.  You could also do it in .cshrc, .login or
.profile, but then it would be run even when you're not using X -- but
that may not bother you.

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com          Yow!  Everybody out of the gene pool!