[SunHELP] Ultra 5 pains

Chris Hall chall at verio.net
Mon Jan 20 14:56:57 CST 2003

[MatthewHattersley at businessserve.co.uk] Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 03:49:24PM -0000 wrote:
> Gotta Ultra 5 with Firmware password. Can't get rid of it... Can get to ok
> prompt but EVERYTHING requires formware password. Have also tried ripping
> NVRAM out of Motherboard.
>
> Any ideas people?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mat

   I had the same problem when i set a password on an Ultra5 and then forgot the password, what i
did was, (though this is NOT recommended) was jot down everything in the output of the banner, and
while the power is on, i pulled out the NVRAM chip for a sec and replaced it. This cleared out NVRAM
settings. I then followed the instructions to set the host id/ether at

       http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html#QUICK

Also, a quick google search i found (may be better but i did not try) was this

       http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2002-October/004059.html

 If these fail you'll have to replace the chip i guess. Follow at your own risk.

Hope this helps

--
Thanks,

- Chris Hall

  "The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page publishing, threatens
to reverse the trend towards illiteracy among the supposedly educated without,
at the same time improving their spelling".
                                               -- Michael Swaine, Dr. Dobb's Journal