[SunHELP] Re: Newb question: can't install core group (Bret Adams)

Mon Jan 13 10:36:17 CST 2003

> Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:04:39 -0500
> From: Bret Adams <bret at fabrikant.com>
> To: jeff_work at nonken.net, sunhelp at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [SunHELP] Newb question: can't install core group
> Message: 3
>
> You can boot off of the software 1 of 2 CD as the other
> member mentioned or
> you can boot off of the installation disk itself and it will
> setup the
> installation environment and prompt you with instructions
> from there.  If
> you dont have the full Solaris media kit with all of the
> supplemental CD's
> use the software 1 of 2.  But my suggestion is to install the
> Entire Group
> plus OEM.  It has the most drivers and should cover most of
> your hardware
> components and any dependencies.  But you will also need
> Software 2 of 2
> disk as well.

I'd be very careful about installing Entire Group plus OEM on a system
that's going to be a firewall. Many services get installed that aren't
needed and open you for vulnerabilities.

> At 06:29 PM 1/12/03 -0500, Jeffrey J.Nonken wrote:
> >I'm trying to set up an SS20 as a firewall. I'm a complete

<snip>

Just my 2 cents.

Matthew