[SunHELP] Re-Partitioning Disk before Solaris install

Jeff Feller jeff at bitz.net
Fri Jan 3 17:26:42 CST 2003

Hello guys,

I tried searching on groups.google.com for a reason my Ultra 2 would be giving
me the problems it is, but found no reason.  First of all, the machine is a
Sun Ultra 2 (dual processor), 256 RAM, and dual 9 GB 10,000 RPM hard drives.
I'm trying to install Solaris 9 (even tried Solaris 8 afterwards, same
problem) and I get as far as the point where I have to create my swap slice...
I answer the questions and tell it to use the default 512 MB and that it can
start at the front of the disk and ya-da ya-da ya-da.. After that, it gives me
the confirmation and warns me all info will be lost (not a problem, the drives
have been formatted)..

Once I hit yes, it tells me --

-------------

Format of Disk c0t0d0 failed.
Format of Disk c0t0d0 failed.

No disk slices exist that are large enough to hold the
Solaris installation software.

The default root disk is /dev/dsk/c0t0d0.
The selected disk will be re-partitioned before the Solaris installation
software is copied to the disk.

WARNING:  ALL INFORMATION ON THE DISK WILL BE ERASED!

Do you want to re-partition /dev/dsk/c0t0d0  [y,n,?,q]

Of course, now it becomes a loop... How do I get around this?  THANKS IN
ADVANCE!

Jeff Feller
BitZ Communications
1829 South Broadway, Suite 1