[SunHELP] Ultra 30 Long POST...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 21:28:27 CST 2003

--- Jeff Parker <parkerjeff at spcollege.edu> wrote:
> I just purchased my first SPARC, an Ultra 30, and the machine takes
> about 5 minutes to fire up the monitor and display the boot loader
> screen. After this it seems to be fine and goes into the POST and
> displays the ARP errors (Note: There is no OS on the `30, and at this
> time no CD drive.)

Sounds like the diagnostics are running...

If you check the settings (type 'printenv' at the OK prompt), you
should find something like "power-on diagnostics" set it to false...

> My question is; Is this normal, or a sign that something is fried (I
> would like some advice before I purchase the seemingly pricey SunCD).

Sounds very normal, and if no errors are found, then you are golden!

Ultra 30s can probably get by with a non-Sun CD Rom drive, I have been
shoving anything SCSI inside my salvaged Ultra 1s lately, and they work
fine (but slow, most are 2x speed)...

If yo have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask... I really
like Ultra 30s...

Enjoy!

=====
Lionel