[SunHELP] hard drive sizes in 411 box?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Feb 10 12:17:25 CST 2003

"Arthur Wouk" <awouk at ra.nilenet.com> writes...

> i have usually only bought 1/2" depth drives dor my sparc 2s and 10s
> since they are guaranteed to fit ecerywgere.

ITYM 1" drives, also sometimes called "low profile" or "1/3rd height".  At
least I've never seen a 1/2" high drive.  Laptop drives are much thinner,
and "desktop" drives much thicker.

> but i measured a 411 bod
> and it looks to me as though they would take drives which were up to
> 1.5" high (measuring feom the bottom of the circuit board to the top).

Probably actually 1.6", a/k/a "half-height."

> will they? is the air flow sufficiently good to cool the larger drives
> i would get this way?

It would seem to be.  I have used a number of half-height drives in 411
enclosures without incident.  When 411 cases were new, I think that's what
Sun shipped in 'em.

-Shel