[SunHELP] can't open boot device

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Feb 7 22:57:08 CST 2003

"victor kiyan" <vkiyan at yahoo.com> writes

> I have an Exabyte 8500 tape drive that I want to install on my SPARC5 -
under Solaris 8 - but every time I plug in the cable the system stops . I
try also shutting the system down plug the cable in,  and when I turn the
system on it gives me a  "can't open boot device"  message. Don't know how
to get around it, any inputs will be appreciated....Thanx.

That sounds like you have the SCSI ID of the tape drive set to the same as
something else already connected to the machine.

I think the usual setting for a single tape drive is SCSI ID 5.  The CD-ROM
should be on 6, and the boot disk on 3....

Check the jumpers or switch on that tape drive.

-Shel