[SunHELP] Sparc20 Hardware Problems

Jon Still jon-pop at tertial.org
Wed Feb 5 06:54:57 CST 2003

Hi all,

Picked up a Sparc 20 as a rescue the other day.  Powered it up, all
seems to be working fine.  I've since removed the CPU (Some form of
SM71 I believe) as part of cleaning it all out and now it's back in,
the box doesn't boot.  When powering it up from the power switch, the
power light flicks on for a fraction of a second before going off
again.  All fans are running, the disks are spinning up, yet the box
doesn't boot and I see no POST info on the serial console (with no
keyboard attached).

I've since put the CPU into another box, which seems to recognise it
just fine.  I also put a spare CPU into the dead machine with the same
results.  However this spare CPU now fails to work in the working
machine (a 2 CPU box) and it gives me some form of access exception.

Has anyone seen this kind of problem or have any idea as to how to
resolve this?

Cheers,
Jon.

Jon Still                               E-mail: jon at tertial.org