[SunHELP] Urgent !! Help , Can Login on SUN OS 5.7

Ido Dubrawsky ido at dubrawsky.org
Tue Feb 4 11:27:33 CST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 04:11:26AM -0600, sunhelp-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> Hi
>
>    i am running Sun os 5.7 , it was working great till
> now , but since last 2 days i am facing wiered
> problem,
>
> i am not able to "su -" to the system , i can telnet
> on the system and login with normal uid , but when i
> gives "su -" it asks for password , and then just gets
> hang no responce at all , even i tried going to the
> terminal and tried to open the console/terminal window
> locally on the mechine but that also is not working
>
> can some one tell me what could be the reason for this
> and how can i restore it back to normal state
>

> pls reply asap
> as m really in big problem as m still learning solaris
> and new to it

Have you tried rebooting the system into single user mode?  To do this:

1) press STOP-A on the keyboard (assuming a Sun keyboard).  If you're doing
   this on the serial connection you need to send a CTL-Break sequence to the
   system and that will depend on your terminal emulation program.
2) type sync at the "ok>" prompt
3) type boot -s (the -s will get you into single user mode)

After the system boots it will come to a point where it will ask you for the
root password to enter system maintenance mode.  Give the root password. You
should be in at that point.  To me it sounds like you've made a configuration
change at some point and either it's:

a) looking for an NIS/NIS+ server or
b) it's looking for an NFS server and it can't mount some remote filesystem.

That's about all I can tell you at this point without more info.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky               			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Architect				idubraws at cisco.com
dubrawsky.org