[SunHELP] veritas vm&fs removal

Markham, Richard RLMarkham at hafeleamericas.com
Mon Dec 29 22:09:32 CST 2003

I have change configurations to a Solstice mirror of the local root
filesystems which has been running for around 6 months.  I went to remove
the following leftover veritas packages:
system      VRTSvmdev      VERITAS Volume Manager, Header and Library Files
system      VRTSvmdoc      VERITAS Volume Manager (user documentation)
system      VRTSvmman      VERITAS Volume Manager, Manual Pages
system      VRTSvmsa       VERITAS Volume Manager Storage Administrator
system      VRTSvrdoc      VERITAS Volume Replicator (user documentation)
system      VRTSvxfs       VERITAS File System
... and upon reboot /etc/path_to_inst was missing which eventualy to the
corruption of my soltice mirror.  Anyways, I have worked through that,but I
still have one more server to go through.  We do not need veritas on these
servers and currently no veritas services are being started on boot and all
filesystems are UFS.  How can I safely remove these packages without
jeaopardizing my OS install once again?  Do I need to detach my Soltice
mirrors, before, for safe precautions or could I could simply save off and
replace /etc/path_to_inst?

TIA

Solaris 8
VERITAS-3.4_2001_07_20