[SunHELP] missing paths in SAN FC4700

Markham, Richard RLMarkham at hafeleamericas.com
Sat Dec 20 01:22:09 CST 2003

I have an ugent problem and cant seem to get an answer, hoping someone here
can help.  I am using powerpath 4.0.2 (EMCpower) and have a problem where
"powermt display dev=all" is only showing one device path per LUN.  This
problem is existant on two servers.  Further inspection showed that the
working servers show 2 HBA cards where the problem servers do not.

working example:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
powermt display paths
Symmetrix logical device count=0
==
----- Host Bus Adapters --------- ------ Storage System -----    - I/O Paths
-
### HW Path                            ID          Interface     Total
Dead
==

CLARiiON logical device count=2
==
----- Host Bus Adapters --------- ------ Storage System -----    - I/O Paths
-
### HW Path                            ID          Interface     Total
Dead
==
2306 pci at 1f/fibre-channel at 4        F20012000123        SP B0          2
0
2307 pci at 1f/fibre-channel at 1        F20012000123        SP A0          2
0

problem Server 1:
powermt display paths
Symmetrix logical device count=0
==
----- Host Bus Adapters --------- ------ Storage System -----    - I/O Paths
-
### HW Path                            ID          Interface     Total
Dead
==

CLARiiON logical device count=6
==
----- Host Bus Adapters --------- ------ Storage System -----    - I/O Paths
-
### HW Path                            ID          Interface     Total
Dead
==
2306 ssm at 0/pci at 19/fibre-channel at 1     F20012000123        SP A0          6
0

Server 2:
powermt display paths
Symmetrix logical device count=0
==
----- Host Bus Adapters --------- ------ Storage System -----    - I/O Paths
-
### HW Path                            ID          Interface     Total
Dead
==

CLARiiON logical device count=1
==
----- Host Bus Adapters --------- ------ Storage System -----    - I/O Paths
-
### HW Path                            ID          Interface     Total
Dead
==
2306 pci at 1f/fibre-channel at 4        F20012000123        SP A1          1
0

I believe the fact that only one HBA being listed would explain why I dont
have DUAL
paths to my LUNS.  The zoning information in the Brocade switches seems to
be intact
just like the other working servers.  I'm showing good link status on all my
HBA's.

I am hoping this is a mere configuration oversite, please help if you have
time.

TIA

Solaris 8 (8_Recommend DEC0203)
Powerpath 4.0.2 (previously 3.0, but upgrade has maintained these problems)
Clariion FC4700
lp9000 on one server and lp8000 on the other