[SunHELP] Re: Problem with Sunfreeware Apache pkg

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Apr 10 03:57:05 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 03:36:11PM -0500, Ben Ricker wrote:
> Has anyone installed the pkg for Apache 1.3.27 for Solaris 8 from
> Sunfreeware? I keep getting the following error no matter how many times
> I install the pkg on two different Solaris 8 boxes:
>
> $ ./apachectl start
> /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
> ./apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Did you install for the proper platform? This can happen (I think) if you
try to install and run the intel package on a sparc, and vice versa.

Run this command:

	$ file /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

And you should get something like this:

	rnovak at andromedary:~> file /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd
	/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd:    ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
	rnovak at andromedary:~> uname -p
	sparc

The platform returned by 'file' and the platform returned by 'uname -p'
should be the same. :-)

	rnovak at andromedary:~> pkginfo -l SMCapache
	   PKGINST:  SMCapache
	      NAME:  apache
	  CATEGORY:  application
	      ARCH:  sparc
	   VERSION:  1.3.27
	   BASEDIR:  /usr/local/apache
	    VENDOR:  The Apache Software Foundation
	    PSTAMP:  Steve Christensen
	  INSTDATE:  Nov 17 2002 18:35
	     EMAIL:  steve at smc.vnet.net
	    STATUS:  completely installed
	     FILES:      679 installed pathnames
	                  24 directories
	                  48 executables
	               11885 blocks used (approx)

This is the sol9 package, but you should get something very similar
from pkginfo for sol8. Same version of the package.

--Rob