[SunHELP] Samba question

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Mon Apr 7 15:51:44 CDT 2003

Simoncini, Matthew writes ...

> Is there a simple way to have Windows map the drive letter to the Samba
> share when rebooted or does the drive mapping always have to depend on a
> user being logged in?

If you can get the Windows box to run a batch file as part of its start-up
sequence, you can use the Windows NET command to map the drive.  You want
NET USE, and you can get help from the command line by commanding "NET USE
?" ...

	net use f: \\63.148.184.245\shel foobar /yes

for example, would mount the directory \shel from the machine at IP address
63.148.184.245 as drive F: on the local machine, using password "foobar",
and would not stop to ask ask for confirmation while doing so.

I'm not sure of the actual mechanism used to run things at startup, but I
expect some "run=" command in the Registry would do it.

Holler if you need more help, and I'll do some more research.

-S