[SunHELP] Basic Solaris LDAP to Win Active Dir. question

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Oct 30 14:46:15 CST 2002

I would like to authenticate a small number of Sun shell accounts against a
large Windows 2000 Active Directory installation. However, my Solaris
usernames aren't the same as the Windows account names. Is there a way around
this, or do I need to use MS Services for Unix? Oh, and to up the ante, I
don't have NIS running, and I'd like to avoid it if I can.
   (Before anyone suggests it, I've got the Blueprints book and I've searched
the web, but I'm just sort of overwhelmed.)
   The usernames are all of the format 'firstinitiallastname'; on the Suns
they're truncated to a maximum of eight characters, while AD allows the full
last name if it's longer. People with long last names, like mine, get them cut
short on the Suns -- so a direct match of username-to-username won't work.
   Am I fundamentally missing some super-neat feature of the Solaris 8 LDAP
client that would take care of this, or do I need a "middleware" solution to
map the usernames?
   Thanks in advance for helping me understand.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator