[SunHELP] reboot hang problem

swangchuk at nyse.com swangchuk at nyse.com
Thu Oct 24 13:40:13 CDT 2002

Hello,

I've a server E-220R running Solaris 8 and Oracle 9i with disks mirrored
through Disksuite.
When I reboot the server, it hangs. Even after 10-15 minutes, I cannot ping
the server. But when I console in
through our terminal server on the serial port, the reboot continues
immediately. Here's the message I see
configuring IPv4 interfaces: hme0.
Hostname: iddsorap01
The system is coming up.  Please wait.
checking ufs filesystems
/dev/md/rdsk/d5: is clean.
/dev/md/rdsk/d4: is stable.
and so on and the server comes up fine without any problem. I used a
different port on the terminal server and still the same.
It seems to be related to the network card but when the system comes up I
don't see any problems.

Here's a part of the "messages" log
Oct 24 14:07:22 iddsorap01 ebus: [ID 521012 kern.info] se0 at ebus0: offset
14,400000
Oct 24 14:07:22 iddsorap01 genunix: [ID 936769 kern.info] se0 is
/pci at 1f,4000/ebus at 1/se at 14,400000
Oct 24 14:24:12 iddsorap01 unix: [ID 987524 kern.info] cpu0:
SUNW,UltraSPARC-II (upaid 0 impl 0x11 ver 0xa0 clock 450 MHz)
Oct 24 14:24:19 iddsorap01 hme: [ID 517527 kern.info] SUNW,hme0 : PCI IO
2.0 (Rev Id = c1) Found
Oct 24 14:24:19 iddsorap01 pcipsy: [ID 370704 kern.info] PCI-device:
network at 1,1, hme0
You will notice that there is a gap in time from 14:07 to 14:24, that was
time when I consoled in through the serial port.

Has anyone come across such a problem? What could be the reason for this?
I'm unable to perform scheduled reboot due to the hang problem.
Please help.

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment to it
is privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to
the message, and please delete it  from your system. Thank you.  NYSE.