[SunHELP] Help quick! Daylight saving How does it work?

Wed Oct 23 20:23:45 CDT 2002

Hello All

I hope you gurus can help.

Its rather complicated but we have a client whose box we
sort of "look after". ie i can only get access to it via
someone on the phone..  anyway..

I need to find how we can confirm the daylight saving
settings on it and if it will switch over this weekend.

We cannot test it by changing the date and waiting for
it to switch over and then switch the date back to the
current time because its in production.

I always thought that daylight saving was "automatic"
depending on the timezone settings. Is that right?

The client is asking about installing /usr/sbin/rtc
into a cron job to change the time?  We dont have that
program installed on the system. Where do we get a copy
of that program? What exactly does it do? We we need it
at all given that the timezone has been set on the machine.

when we type the "date" command we get the current time and
also the timezone as EST. doesnt that mean that we will have
the daylight saving switching over as required?

How can I tell if the time zone settings are correct and
that it will switch at the appropriate time. Is that a
file on the system i can look at and confirm this?

Hope there is enough info for yous all to help !!

Regards
TW Foong