[SunHELP] Ftp of windows files

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Oct 20 22:46:25 CDT 2002

"Deepak C Deshpande" <cddeepak at in.ibm.com> says

> I have to ftp more than 10 thousnad files(size 6gb) from windows platform
> to my unix box. Both the boxes are on ethrernet network.
> Does anybody know about any freeware to do this?

Do you mean something more interesting than the mput command under ms-ftp?

> I was planning to bundle the windows files in a single file and then ftp
> unix.

Remember you'll need space to untar/unzip/unwhatever once you get there if
you do that.

> But I do not know any utility on windows to create tar file. And if  I zip
> the files on my windows box, I do not know how to unzip the files on the
> unix box.

There are many implementations of tar for DOS/Windows.  Check the usual
shareware repositories like cnet, simtel, winfiles, etc.

I'd be really tempted to install the Cygwin Unix work-alike system on your
Windows box.  See www.cygwin.com ... it contains many standard Unix
utilities, including rsh and rcp, and a bash shell.  You could script the
whole thing.

-Shel