Subject: [SunHELP] WARNING: [AFT1] WP event on CPU1

Wed Oct 16 08:13:46 CDT 2002

Chris,

At my client location, we've seen many of these errors, this particular one
seems to be an eCache CPU error which according to Sun are "random
environmental events". What this means in support language (and according to
Sun best practices) is we'll make a note of this, take no action, but if it
happens again we'll replace the CPU. Send in your core files to Sun and
they'll probably tell you the same thing.

We've seen this problem so much, that Sun came in and did several CPU
replacements with "mirrored eCache" CPU's. These CPU's have the memory
mirrored, so that if a bit flips on one side of the mirror, the CPU can
recover and not panic.

As a side not, Sun recommended to us not to "re-seat" the CPU's as we may be
introducing foreign matter between the CPU and system board contacts. In
fact, on most of the new SunFire line, you have an entire board replaced
(with multiple CPU's) if even one CPU goes bad. Sun has found that CPU's
that are seated in a clean environment have a decreased chance of problems.

Hope this information helps.

Matthew