[SunHELP] General Boot Question

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR ( SDaubigne@bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com ) SDaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com
Mon Oct 14 13:47:05 CDT 2002

You can prove it : just let him read the inittab file.

Actually init does not run /etc/rc2.d/S* scripts (init just runs what we
tell him to run through the inittab file).
Instead, it runs /sbin/rc2, a shell-script which finally runs /etc/rc2.d/S*
scripts

Have a look at /sbin/rc2 & 3

>From inittab :

s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2
s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE
sdaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com <mailto:sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr>
- (+33)5.57.26.56.36
SchlumbergerSema - SGS/DWH/Pessac

	-----Message d'origine-----
	De:	Bret Adams [SMTP:bret at fabrikant.com]
	Date:	lundi 14 octobre 2002 20:30
	@:	sunhelp at sunhelp.org
	Objet:	[SunHELP] General Boot Question

	Hey Everybody:

	This is more of a general UNIX question but I have a bet with a
buddy and I
	just want to confirm this so I can settle this issue.

	My position is that when UNIX boots up the inittab file designates
the
	default level of run level usually three unless someone pushes it to

	another run level at the shutdown command or init command.  Lets say
its
	run level three, after starting up the kernel it processes the S
scripts in
	rc2.d and then rc3.d.  Usually the S scripts in the rc directories
are
	nothing more than links to initialization scripts in /etc/init.d
This way
	you have one central place for administration.

	My buddy thinks that the scripts in init.d are used from init.d in
the
	bootup process. I am trying to explain that if that was the case
then why
	have the rc directories.

	I just wanted to confirm that init.d is just a repository for the
	initialization scripts that the rc directories reference through
links for
	bootup or shutdown.  Or you can use the scripts in init.d for when
you need
	to shutdown and restart services without rebooting.  The actual
init.d
	directory is NOT where the system goes to find bootup scripts.

	Thanks.

	Bret
	SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org