[SunHELP] Gigabit Ethernet throughput

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR ( SDaubigne@bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com ) SDaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com
Mon Oct 14 10:05:42 CDT 2002

My tests were made with a little TCP client/server C program I wrote, which
sends/receives TCP frames from/to memory (In fact it sends/receives the same
1 Mb memory buffer 1024 times and display the resulting throughput).
I talked about FTP transfer to simplify my question, but there's no disk I/O
involved in the test process.

I think the bottleneck is not CPU either, because the transfers were
paralelized from 1 to 15 (both hosts have 20 CPUs) , and I kept the best
value which is 10 (beyond 10 the agregate throughput decreases slightly).

That's why I suppose the bottleneck here is the network subsystem.

---
Sebastien DAUBIGNE
sdaubigne at bordeaux-bersol.sema.slb.com <mailto:sebastien.daubigne at sema.fr>
- (+33)5.57.26.56.36