[SunHELP] Solaris Security

Christopher Smiga csmiga at n2bb.com
Thu Oct 10 10:13:33 CDT 2002

Matthew,

"locked" still means what it is saying. This verifies why the "root"
account needs to be heavily protected. Remember, "root" is omni present,
god of the system. I use encrypted passwords for my root accounts.
Anything to resist attacks. Listed is a scheme I have used before.

Example:
50mn073nT = somnolent

1 = i
2 = z
3 = e
4 = q
5 = s
6 = d
7 = L
8 = B
9 = g
0 = o

Typically the last alpha character in the string is capitalized.

This goes along with hardening the system.

Thought I'd share my ideas.

Christopher Smiga
System Engineer (Sun SCSA, SCNA)
N2 Broadband Network Operations