[SunHELP] Solaris Installation without Xwindows Support..

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Oct 10 07:41:21 CDT 2002

> What's the procedure to allow this X session tunneling through
> ssh witout the necessity of opening more ports in the firewalls?

   You should already have port 22 open to allow an SSH connection. After
that, just ensure that your SSH server & client software were compiled with
support for SSH tunneling (most should already support this), and then
configure the SSH server & client properly.
   Read these:
   1. The O'Reilly & Associates book on SSH, "SSH, The Secure Shell, The
Definitive Guide" is very good; the book's web site has a FAQ with two
questions about SSH tunneling: http://www.snailbook.com/faq/
   2. The official SSH FAQ:
http://www.employees.org/~satch/ssh/faq/ssh-faq-5.html#ss5.10
   3. http://csociety.ecn.purdue.edu/~sigos/projects/ssh/forwarding/
   There's plenty more on the web:
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&q=Ssh+tunnel+X
   As I said before, the software should support it already, so the real work
is configuring your client.

> Should I only open the ports used by the X session in the firewalls?

   No, just the opposite: the SSH connection is the only thing passing through
your firewall, so only open port 22.

> I guess it will not be so easy to convice the firewalls'
> adminstrators...

   I am sure they will be very happy to help you, once they hear that your X
session will be running over an encrypted link. Mine was! :7)
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator