[SunHELP] DNS version

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 1 06:01:52 CDT 2002

Nessus would give you this information, though the reported version is not
necessarily the version actually running...

http://cgi.nessus.org/plugins/dump.php3?id=10028

"It is possible to determine the version and type of a name daemon
by querying the CHAOS TXT record 'version.bind',
on BIND based named (unless configured to act otherwise),
the server will respond with the BIND version.

Solution :
Using the 'version' directive in the 'options' section will block
the 'version.bind' query, but it will not log such attempts."

Will.