[SunHELP] (U//FOUO) Gigagit (ge0) connectivity problems

Ives Keith M Cont AFIWC/IOT Keith.Ives at LACKLAND.AF.MIL
Tue Nov 26 09:00:47 CST 2002

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Security Control Marking: FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY

I have successfully installed the sun gigabit card but am having problems
connecting to my network.
I see the same problem in 2 different systems: 4500 running Solaris 7 and an
U10 running Solaris 8.
Both systems find the network just fine when using hme interface.  As soon
as I attempt to use the gigabit interface the system hangs.  I have been
able to isolate the commands in the RC scripts that it is hanging on... both
of which are looking for NIS+.  The first is in S72inetsvc running
"...ifconfig -auD netmask + broadcast +". I have commented this line out
(not really necessary) and the next time it hangs is in S76nscd attempting
to run "nscd_nischeck".  So as u can see it is failing to find the NIS+
server.  I have made no configuration changes to the NIS+ server nor how
these systems look for these services.
The 4500 is on the same subnet/vlan as the  NIS+ server.  When connected
with hme, the connection is in the same switch as the other servers on that
subnet/vlan.  When connected via gigabit, we have tried both the switch as
well as the router.  What is really strange is this box can ping any other
subnet on our LAN and visa versa.  But it will not see any system on its own
subnet, including the switch.
I have exhausted the sunsolve site with no help.

Keith Ives
System Administrator
Veridian Information Solutions
(210) 977-3181  ext 391