[SunHELP] Configure NIC

Chris Pinnock cjep at fawlty.net
Sat Nov 23 07:31:52 CST 2002

On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 03:09:58PM +0400, Irfan Baloch wrote:
> We are running E450 with hme0 configured as
>
> "Auto-negotiated 100 Mbps half-duplex link up" and facing performance
> problem.
>
> Is it feasible to change NIC configuration to full duplex, and if it is
> how to do this modification.

Yes it is. IIRC (i.e. don't take my word for it, google first ;),
in /etc/system do:

set hme:hme_adv_autoneg_cap = 0
set hme:hme_adv_100T4_cap = 0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap = 1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap = 0

* You might need these as well
set hme:hme_adv_10fdx_cap = 0
set hme:hme_adv_10hdx_cap = 0

and reboot, making sure that the switch port is configured to 100Mbps
full-duplex.

(My understanding is that early HME interfaces do not implement
auto-negotiate correctly as the auto-negotiation "standard" of fast
ethernet had not been decided fully at the time. Newer versions seem
okay.)

best wishes,
Chris