[SunHELP] Mandrake 7.1 on sparc fails to start

Chris Barnes runtimeerror at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 4 07:07:13 CST 2002

Hi people,

I recently spent a great deal of time downloading Mandrake 7.1 for SPARC
on my 56k modem.

Any way I burnt the ISO to cd-rom and stuck it in my Sparc Station 5 to
boot. SILO boots and I get the welcome screen, I type in text <enter>
and the cd-rom starts to boot the text image but half way through doing
that it fails and says verbatim below:

failed to open /dev/tty1failed.

                                                    I can't recover from
this.

I've tried booting different images like expert and Linux but the same
error occurs.

I have to use the SPARC5 through a serial terminal because I don't have
a compatible monitor but I do have a compatible keyboard and mouse.

I have tried setting input-device to keyboard and output-device to ttya
but the setup tells me that there is an inconsistent console.

Any help very much appreciated.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]