[SunHELP] PCI card not getting detected in Ultra SPARC IIi

Ido Dubrawsky ido at dubrawsky.org
Sat Nov 2 19:32:02 CST 2002

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 12:00:04PM -0600, sunhelp-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We have a custom PCI card which is getting detected in Intel architectures
> with windows, linux operating systems but is not getting detected in Ultra
> SPARC IIi,440MHz running solaris.
> It is not being listed even in Openboot when we used show-devs command.
>
> Can anyone please tell where the problem lies :
> 1. Is there any specific thing that is to be taken into consideration
> regarding the architectures(Intel,SPARC) while designing the PCI card.
> or
> 2. Is there any problem with the open boot.
> or
> 3. any thing other than these.
>
> Thanking you all in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Yamini

Yamini,

  There's a simple answer to this one.  The PCI card is not supported under
Sun's OpenBoot.  The card may be supported under Solaris, but OpenBoot cannot
recognize this.  I had this problem when I tried to use an Adaptec 2940UW card
in a Ultra 60.  I had to go and get the fully supported equivalent card from
Antares (which actually cost LESS than the Adaptec card).  There's nothing
wrong with your OpenBoot and yes, the vendor has to make a card that can be
recognized by the SPARC.  That's all.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky               			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Engineer				idubraws at cisco.com