[SunHELP] Unable to read certain parts of a disk partition.....help please!!

Rob Bains rbains at purusha.ca
Thu May 16 23:35:22 CDT 2002

Hi;

I think I did something really silly here. I had a fully functional disk
until I started to play with its partition table to prepare for the
DiskSuite installation. I needed to make some room (app. 65Mb)on one of
the partitions (slice 5 for the metadevice state database) by borrowing
it from one of the others (slice 4). So, it worked fine, and I was able
to re-size the appropriate both partitions without any overlaps etc.
Then I labeled the disk, which also worked fine. But...when I rebooted
the machine, it could not read the cylinders that I borrowed from slice
4 to add them to slice 5. It asked me to manually fsck
/dev/rdsk/c0t0dos4 to correct the problem. But I keep on getting the
same error message. And it puts the machine in single user mode. If I
hit ctrl+D from single user mode, the machine boots up fine but the
filesystem on slice is not mounted. I can then manually mount it, and
everything is fine. All the data is there. But when I reboot the machine
again, exact same thing happens. In other words, the machine can never
reboot automatically and mount this filesystem.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I'm missing? Any help would be
greatly appreciated. I really don't want to re-build the machine from
scratch.

Thanks.

---