[SunHELP] Access remote DAT drive usisng ssh

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Thu May 9 02:31:35 CDT 2002

Solaris's ufsdump will let you dump to a tape drive on another host if .rhosts
is configured to allow you to rsh to it. This was mentioned briefly in a
thread yesterday or the day before.

# /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0vf user at remotehost:/dev/rmt/0cn /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0

... for example, would dump c0t0d0s0 to tape device 0cn on the host
'remotehost' assuming you can rsh to 'remotehost' as 'user' without having to
authenticate from the machine you're on (and that 'user' has permission to
write to the tape device.)

A quick Google turned up this, which provides more info on using ssh instead
of rsh.

http://www.sunmanagers.org/pipermail/summaries/2002-February/002379.html

Will.