[SunHELP] Generic DLT drives on Sol 8

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Wed May 1 11:03:49 CDT 2002

Hi Peter:

One advantage to being a neophyte is I don't even know what the st.conf file
is.. BUT I installed a DLT on our E3500 (running Sol8) a couple weeks ago
(with your help I think!) and am now using it for nightly backups with UFS &
Vxdump. We bought the DLT through our Sun vendor (so it's color coordinated..
;-)   but I'd suspect DLT's are generic (?) for the most part. I just tossed
it on there, played with the SCSI ID
and of course the requisite boot -r and it's been great.

I just checked out our st.conf file and the Quantum DLT4000, 7000 & 8000 are
all officially supported. For the DLT8000, it specifically states that the
drive is configured automatically, no entries are needed. this explains how I
got away with it.. This file was part of 8_Recommended/108725-06  as well so
if the machine has not been patched in a while you might not have the newest
st.conf. There are settings in st.conf for the DLT4000 & 7000 that are
supplied by Sun w/o warranty etc..

#       "QUANTUM DLT7000",      "Quantum DLT7000", "DLT7k-data",
#       "Quantum DLT4000",      "Quantum DLT4000", "DLT-data",

Hope some part of that was useful!

- Joe

>>> "Peter Stokes" <peter at ashlyn.co.uk> 05/01/02 05:26AM >>>
Hi All

Just been looking on the Quantum site and the old archives and cannot find
any references to Solaris st.conf values for the DLT's on Sol 8. Is this now
in Sol 8 so I do not have to bother or is there a document giving the values
I need to add anywhere?

Thanks

Peter

Peter Stokes