[SunHELP] PASSLENGTH attribute in /etc/default/passwd doesn't appear to work

ymui at royalsunalliance.ca ymui at royalsunalliance.ca
Wed Jun 19 10:09:26 CDT 2002

Yes, I'm aware of that.  Here's the extract from the Answerbook :

Each password must have PASSLENGTH characters, where PASSLENGTH is defined
in
             /etc/default/passwd and is set to 6. Only the first eight
characters are significant.

If only the first 8 characters are significant, does that mean there's no
point to set to a number greater than 8 ?  My test results do confirm this.
Therefore, my conclusion is the value of PASSLENGTH has to be 8 or less to
be effective.

Y. Mui.

                    "Katherine
                    Strojny"                 To:     <ymui at royalsunalliance.ca>,
                    <kstrojny at worldne        <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
                    t.att.net>               cc:
                                             Subject:     Re: [SunHELP] PASSLENGTH attribute
                    06/18/2002 04:38         in /etc/default/passwd doesn't appear to work
                    PM
                    Please respond to
                    "Katherine
                    Strojny"

> I've changed the PASSLENGTH value to 12 in /etc/default/passwd, but it
> still acknowledges a length less than this.  There is only one patch
103178
> found for Solaris 2.5.  We run 2.8.
>
> Does anyone has a similar issue ?
>
> Thanks, Y. Mui.

Haven't played with this, but was just reading that PASSLENGTH values above
8 default to 8.

-k