[SunHELP] NIS passwd problem

Nigel Trivass trivass at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 13 15:08:41 CDT 2002

Hi,

Firstly just like tosay how big a help this list has been to me.

Theproblem I'm facing is changinguser passwords on a 2.6 machine, when
using a NIS linux server. I can change a user passwordcreated on the
linux box.However changing an account created on the 2.6 machine results
in theerror "incorrect password" , whenprompting for the old password.
I'm 100% certain I the old password correctly.

I've linked /usr/bin/yppasswd to /usr/bin/passwd, copied
/etc/nsswitch.nis to /etc/nsswitch.conf

I guess something fundamentally is wrong, guess that's why I'm
anoperator not a sys admin :(

Thanks in advance.

Nigel

>From: >To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org >Subject: [SunHELP] root user "prompt" ,
current dir as prompt in bourne shell >Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:06:53
-0700 (PDT) > > Hi, > >1. > I would like to know where is the setting for
root >user's shell prompt in solaris. I login to the machine >console as
root. > >for non-root users it is in /etc/profile and >$HOME/.profile as
PS1. > >But the root user is not getting the prompt from these >files. >
>2. I use Bourne shell for a user called xx. Is there >a way in this
shell to get prompt which displays >"current directory". An example is :
If change to a >dir called test from my home dir /export/home/xx. I >need
the prompt to change to /export/home/xx/test. > > with my /etc/profile
settings as follows, I only get >my home dir in the prompt for user xx. I
didn't have >any settings in $HOME/.profile for this user xx. >