[SunHELP] Erase Data on Disk

Wyatt Draggoo wyatt at draggoo.com
Mon Jun 3 17:16:18 CDT 2002

> Hello Administrators,
>
> We've to return some old SCSI disks to the dealer at the end of a lease.
>
> Just wondering any utilites available to write patterns of '1' or '0' to
> overlay any residue data on it, as they are sensitive data.

Just:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c?t?d?s2

I believe it also works with /dev/random (only in later versions of
Solaris 8, and in Solaris 9).  If it's really sensitive, go over it a
few times with /dev/random, and then finalize it with /dev/zero

Wyatt

--
Wyatt Draggoo
Public Key:

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had a name of signature.asc]