[SunHELP] NTP design

komokwa at earthlink.net komokwa at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 19 09:54:35 CDT 2002

>A technical nit; if the GPS netclocks are >network ntp devices, they will be
stratum 1 and the 4 solaris machines will be stratum 2,

My understanding is the actual clock (source of time) is stratum 0...but
probably a minor point.

>The only practical reason I've found for setting >a preferred server is to
manage network traffic

Traffic management and time accuracy was the logic behind specifying local
servers for preferred use at each data center.

>Under normal circumstances, the Solaris
>boxes will automatically pick the local GPS box >as its preferred server.

How does it do this?

>The local clients need only point to the local >Solaris boxes

Are you suggesting to not set the 4 NTP servers as peers?

Thanks very much,
-- Tim