[SunHELP] NTP design

Tim Gallagher komokwa at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 20:27:43 CDT 2002

We are redesigning our NTP system and I was hoping to get some expert input
from the list.

There are two geographically remote data centers, latency between the two
locations is 50-60 ms (using ping -s) typically. The plan is to have a GPS
netclock in each location, directly connected to two machines each - for a
total of 4 stratum 1 NTP servers (running Solaris 8 with the bundled xntpd)
operating as peers.

First thought is to have slightly different client files on the data center
boxes at each location in order to designate one of the local servers as the
preferred NTP server. This is a large environment.

The questions;
1- Does this seem like a good plan for use with two different locations?
2- Any problem to be expected with the servers syncronizing across the WAN?
3- Is it workable to have a different server preferred in each location?

Thanks,
-- Tim