[SunHELP] Difference in "time to prompt" for root vs. any oth er user with O penSSH on Sol 8 2/02

William Enestvedt Will.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Jul 17 14:27:44 CDT 2002

Wyatt Draggoo wrote:

> Is it the ``sleep 30'' line in the users' .login files? :)

   No...but maybe it's the "sleep 5" line in the /etc/skel/local.profile
that wants to start OpenWindows whenever someone logs in. :7)

> Actually, the .login and .profile (or .cshrc) family of files
> is where I'd start checking, to include /etc/profile, and the
> /etc/skel/* files. If the users are using a Bourne Shell
> variant, add ``set -x'' to those files...

   As you suggested, I dropped 'set -x' into each of these and it doesn't
show any unexpected commands executing. Come to think of it, since the shell
is the thing that wasn't starting up for so long, _would_ this reveal the
problem? Oooh, ooh, wait: root uses the Bourne shell, but all the users are
set to inhabit the Korn shell... Darn -- changing a user to use the Bourne
shell doesn't help.
   The maddening thing is that no input is accepted between the time that
the banner prints and when the prompt appears -- I can't even kill the
connection with control-D.
   I probably ought to know this, but what files execute during a login
_before_ the shell starts?
   Thanks for your suggestion, by the way!
-wde
--