[SunHELP] Problem with TCP socket connections

jh jh at r2r.de
Tue Jul 16 03:02:46 CDT 2002

Hello,

I have a problem with socket connections that keep hanging around in the
system although the connection has been correctly closed.

Suppose I open the server port localhost:1000 and listen for incoming
connections.
Then, I connect from localhost:2000 to that port.

`netstat -f inet` shows that the connection has been established.

After closing the connection, netstat still shows it for some minutes
with the state TIME_WAIT. I cannot reconnect with exactly the same port
numbers as long as this connection is still in the list.

I see the same effect with any TCP connection (e.g. telnet, ftp),
however, with these protocols, the client uses a different client port
for each connection, so there is no problem with old connections.

Does anybody know how to treat these hanging connections, I mean, how
can I determine how long I have to wait? Is there a system parameter for
this?

Thanks for help,
    Jens

Jens Hamann
Unix Consultant

R2R Informations- und Kommunikations AG
Anzengruberstr. 12    D-83101 Rohrdorf
Tel: +49-8032-9899-0 Fax: +49-8032-9899-29
http://www.r2r.de     mailto:jhamann at r2r.de