[SunHELP] dhcp / autonegotiation on older hme

Paul Mitcheson pmitcheson at iee.org
Thu Jul 11 16:04:08 CDT 2002

Dear All,

I posted a couple of days ago regarding my hme0 not autonegotiating FDX
fast enough with my netgear switch, so dhcp was timing out, IP address
not getting set, hostname not getting set etc etc.

The solution is simple and is as follows:

As the interface would always get set up eventually (in under 1 minute)
all you have to do it make sure the timout on dhcp is longer than that
time.  The default is 30s, and I guess sometimes this wasn't long enough
for the oldish hme on the ultra 1 and my netgear switch.

So, in /etc/init.d/network, change the line which reads:

/sbin/ifconfig $primary auto-dhcp primary $cmdline

to:

/sbin/ifconfig $primary auto-dhcp primary wait 60 $cmdline

Hope this helps someone,

Paul
      .---.
     /     \
     \. at -@./     Paul Mitcheson
     /`\_/`\     Control and Power Research Group
    //  _  \\    Imperial College London
   | \     )|_   mailto:paul at mitcheson.org
  /`\_`>  <_/ \  http://www.mitcheson.org/paul