[SunHELP] Username max is 8 characters?

Blurg blurg at gluipzak.nl
Thu Jul 11 10:21:16 CDT 2002

AFAIK: Nope.
Or you have to do some hacking in /usr/include/limits.h and recompile the
kernel:

/user/include/limits.h:
#define  LOGNAME_MAX 8  /* max # of characters in a login name */

from the useradd manpage (about the passwd file):

 The login (login) and role (role) fields accept a string  of
     no  more  than eight bytes consisting of characters from the
     set of alphabetic  characters,  numeric  characters,  period
     (.),  underscore  (_),  and  hyphen (-). The first character
     should be alphabetic and the field should contain  at  least
     one  lower case alphabetic character. A warning message will
     be written if these  restrictions  are  not  met.  A  future
     Solaris  release  may refuse to accept login and role fields
     that do not meet these requirements.

Jurgen

      	        http://geographiczoom.com
         -* Pictures from all over the world! *-