[SunHELP] basic query on http ports

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 28 06:00:29 CST 2002

I can't give you specifics for solaris, but you can have both services
running on port 80 if you have a separate IP address aliased on the ethernet
interface for the second service (sometimes called virtual hosting).

Or, you can use the same IP address but two different ports (not what you
wanted, but it works).

Or, you can use a parsing engine to identify something in the URL to direct
them to the proper page. The parser runs on a webserver on port 80, but
retrieves the desired page by proxy (my company does this and it works
great, even at 6+ million hits per hour).

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751