[SunHELP] basic query on http ports

TAG DBA dbatag at tatainfotech.com
Thu Feb 28 03:56:21 CST 2002

This must be a simple question ...
I have two applications both of which use  HTTP web servers. Users connect
to the respective web servers to use the applications.
As of now these applications reside on different Solaris servers. However
there is a need to host them on the same machine.

I believe that the default port for http is 80. Now I cant setup both web
servers to listen on 80 - lets say I set them up on ports 80 and 81
respectively.
Application A - Web Server A - listening on Port 80 -
http://SERVER1/index.htm
Application B - Web Server B - listening on Port 81 -
http://SERVER1:81/index.htm

What I want to know is that - can users to Application B connect to their
http server listening on port 81 without specifying the port number in the
line "http://SERVER:81/index.htm" ? Can something be configured onto the
Solaris Server OR into a DNS server to allow http requests to Application B
be automatically be redirected to web server on port 81  ?

Thanks and Regards,
~aslam