[SunHELP] forgot root password

jh jh at r2r.de
Thu Feb 28 02:59:45 CST 2002

It`s no greater Problem, if you use the following steps:

1. Get down your machine in OBP:   # init 0
2. Boot from CD-Rom:                    ok boot cdrom -s   (-s is important,
otherwise you will install)
3. Check your filesystem:                  # fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0  (check
your boot hdd)
4. mount the filesystem to /a              # mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0  /a
5. set the terminal                             # TERM=sun
                                                       # export TERM   (if
you don`t set the TERM-Var, you will have to work with a one-line editor)
6. open /a/etc/shadow                     # vi /a/etc/shadow
    and delete the password in the second field
7. reboot your system                      # reboot     (reboot is o.k,
until this step you are working on the root filesystem of the cdrom)

Now you can login because no password is set. Don`t forget to set a new
password!

Have a nice Day!

"Sathiyaseelan, Sr.SystEng, SCSM/NCB" wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> How to break the root password because we have forgotten the password .
> Could you pls help on these matter . I am running on solaris 2.6 , can i
> know the steps of overcamming these problem .
>
> regards
> seelan

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Jens Hamann
Unix Consultant

R2R Informations- und Kommunikations AG
Anzengruberstr. 12    D-83101 Rohrdorf
Tel: +49-8032-9899-0 Fax: +49-8032-9899-29
http://www.r2r.de     mailto:jhamann at r2r.de