[SunHELP] Veritas DMP Problems

Ira Childress INCHILDR at katun.com
Wed Feb 27 14:39:26 CST 2002

Hardware:

     Multiple Sun systems, e.g., Sun E220 2x2 @ 2 ea + Emulex FC HBA @ 2 ea

     IBM Shark ESS 2105 (F20)  +  Emulex FC HBA @ 6 ea

     McData ES3016 FC Switch @ 3 ea

          Shark --------- McData -------- Sun
          Shark -------------^    `---------------^

          Each McData switch handles two paths from the Shark to the Sun
hardware.

Software:

     Solaris 8 w/patch rev 12 September 2001 (Jumbo patch 17 November 2001)
plus IBM recommended patches for ESS

     Veritas VxVM 3.1.1I + latest patches

     Veritas VxFS 3.4 + latest patches

Issue:

     LUNs are created on the Shark and assigned to a system for a period of
time and then removed for assignment to other systems.
     Once the LUNs have been unassigned, I clean up the old system by removing
the specific device trees (/dev/dsk, /dev/rdsk,
      /dev/vx/dmp, /dev/vx/rdmp, and /devices), and removing the devices from
Veritas (vxdisk rm c#t#d#s2). Then I clean up the
     vxdmp processes with vxdctl initdmp and vxdclt enable.

     The devices remain in dmp: vxdmpadm getdmpnode enclosure=shark0 displays
the devices as DISABLED.  Well, duh.  Yes, they
     are disabled because we removed them, but they shouldn't even show up.

Comments:

     I have tried everything I can think of to clear these disks (LUNs).  The
only thing that will clear them is a reboot.  My home systems
     I can reboot almost any time I want, but these are production, test, and
development systems.  I have to pay dearly to get a window
     in which to boot them (the company is an international company and
operates 7/24).

     These "phantom" appearances of LUNs doesn't appear to be causing any real
problems, except to say that they will build device
     trees when I run devfsadm.  They can also skew the c#t#d# which could
possibly cause a problem - mostly administrative.

     It does look like the issue is at the Veritas driver level.  (Veritas is
working on it.)  The HBA card does not see the LUNs once they
     have been removed and Solaris doesn't see them (with the format command)
until devfsadm is run, then it sees them as
     disconnected.

     The following answers don't work: ;)

          A.  Don't move the LUNs once they are assigned, or

          B. Reboot the system after the LUNs are removed.

Thanks in advance.....

Ira Childress
Certified Sun Engineer
(Katun)        952-903-3802