[SunHELP] new ide for ultra 10

Dina-natha Das solaris at sjvc.org
Mon Feb 25 10:46:03 CST 2002

> As far as I know (but I may be wrong) there is no limit (certainly not
> as low as 20GB) for an ide disk in an Ultra 10 from the openboot.
>
> The limitation comes from the OS.  I have a machine here in the lab with
> a 30GB disk running Solaris 8.

Recently someone sent a post saying that he is using 80GB Maxtor drive on
Ultra 10. It seems like that some makes of HDD will work better than others.
I have Ultra 10 with 2 Seagate Barracuda III 30GB drives and they work just
fine. I tried Seagate U Series 5 of 80GB, 60GB and 40GB and they didn't work
at all, they would get recognized in size between 4-12GB, not their actual
size. So you can try with Maxtor drives, or Seagate Barracuda III 30GB
drives, I know they work for sure because I am using them. I am also using
them in one old 270Mhz Ultra 5 machine and they work just fine.

Dnd.