[SunHELP] rdump from Sun Solaris to RedHat

Lance Spallholz spallhol at tardis.union.edu
Thu Feb 21 14:55:27 CST 2002

I have two machines.  One is a Sun running SunOS 5.6 and the other is a
Dell PowerEdge running Red Hat 7.2.  I have recently added a
multicartridge HP SureStore 24x6 tape unit to the Red Hat
machine.  I am using normal unix commands dump, restore and tar with the
tape drive which is recognized as /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0.  Also I am using
/etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny files on the Red Hat machine.

What I would like to do with this new tape drive is to rdump from the
Solaris machine using a command like

ufsdump 0unf RedHatMachine:/dev/nst0 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s7

When I run the command above I get about a 20 second pause and then

 DUMP: RedHatMachine: Connection refused
 DUMP: Cannot connect to tape host `RedHatMachine'
 DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

I believe I have all the .rhosts files on place on both machines and I
have an "ALL" entry in the /etc/hosts.allow for the Solaris machine.

Any ideas on getting this rdump to run will be greatly appreciated.  Or
information saying that I cannot do this so that I will feel free to stop
searching for a solution will also be appreciated.

Lance O. Spallholz :-{)	 Union College '69	spallhol at union.edu
	Office: 518-388-6311		Lab: 518-388-6532
	Union College WWW Homepage: "http://www.union.edu"
	Union College Computer Science Homepage: "http://cs.union.edu"
A Top 3 List:
	3)"Them are the bases." - Casey Stengel to the 1962 NY Mets.
	2)"For those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand."
	1)"To err is human.  To really foul things up requires a computer."