[SunHELP] error when applying patch

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Thu Feb 21 13:28:49 CST 2002

I'm trying to apply a patch for the recently announced snmp exploit.

I'm getting the following error...

# more /var/sadm/patch/108869-15/log

This appears to be an attempt to install the same architecture and
version of a package which is already installed.  This installation
will attempt to overwrite this package.

/export/home/echase/108869-15/SUNWmibii/install/checkinstall: /export/home/echa
se/108869-15/SUNWmibii/install/checkinstall: cannot open
pkgadd: ERROR: checkinstall script did not complete successfully
Dryrun complete.
No changes were made to the system.

Is this telling me that the machine does not need to be patched?  If so,
why would that be?  This is a newly announced exploit.  I haven't applied
any patches in over a month.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu