[SunHELP] external boot disk problems

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Feb 21 07:46:10 CST 2002

Try this:

#
#  First in order to do a "probe-scsi" at the "ok" prompt do this:
#
        ok setenv auto-boot? false
        ok reset

#
#  To Change the boot drive from the default (internal disk) to and external
#  Disk, follow these steps:
#

at the "ok" prompt:

        ok devalias               (see what is already defined)

        ok nvalias disk5 /iommu/sbus/..../sd at 5,0 (fill in the .... with the
                                                  appropriate info)
        # For an Ultra 2 system the device path is:
                /devices/sbus at 1f,0/SUNW,fas at e,8800000/sd at 1,0:a
	   # I believe a Sparc 20 should be similar to the Ultra 2. Not sure
tho.

        # For an Ultra 5 system the device path is:
                /devices/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/ide at 3/dad at 0,0:a

        ok setenv boot-device disk#  (# is the target number of the disk)

        ok printenv boot-device   (just to double check that the change
occurred)

        ok reset  (the system should boot to using disk5 alias)

        examplt:  ok devalias
                  ok nvalias disk5 /iommu/sbus/..../sd at 5,0
                  ok setenv boot-device disk2
                  ok printenv boot-device
                  ok reset

NOTE:  once you have finished, reset auto-boot? to ture:

        ok setenv auto-boot? ture
        ok reset

Hope this helps
Dennis Lund