[SunHELP] RE: Re: Open Boot

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Wed Feb 20 10:48:58 CST 2002

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Dale Ghent wrote:

> setenv input-device ttya keyboard (sets the primary to ttya, secondary to
> 				   keyboard)

I'm not sure that this will work (even with the =) since the system
won't notice a missing ttya in the way you expect.

The default behaviour is the opposite... If 'input-device' is set to
"keyboard" and there's no keyboard detected, it fails over to ttya for
input-device and output-device. I suspect on a working system, ttya will
always be detected, and if it's not, you probably have bigger problems
that a keyboard won't solve.

I don't think there's an auto-failover for output-device. If there is no
keyboard, both input and output are set to ttya. The PROM will tell you
this on the screen (if attached) before going blank and switching all
output to ttya.

--Rob