[SunHELP] Copying data from one server to another

Brian Dunbar Brian.Dunbar at Plexus.com
Wed Feb 20 13:44:23 CST 2002

I haven't *tried* this with an entire filesystem, worked well enough for a
large job directory recently.

Mount an NFS share on the originator that points to the destination.
Create the .tar on the NFS share
Mosey to the destination box and untar.
Umount and put things back the way they were.

This works if you have disk space.  As an alternate, if you have a machine
*somewhere* that has enough disk space, use that for the NFS mount.  I would
like to know if there are any more elegant solutions that this, of course .
. .

BrianD

-----Original Message-----
From: Simoncini, Matthew [mailto:Matthew.Simoncini at bsci.com]
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 12:45 PM
To: 'sunhelp at sunhelp.org'
Subject: [SunHELP] Copying data from one server to another

Hello all,

I have a quick question that I'm sure someone can answer.

I have a large filesystem (~20 - 25 gig) that I need to copy to another
server. What is the best way to get the data from one server to another?
Normally, I would just tar the directory up and ftp it to the necessary
server, but unfortunately, I don't have the space to do that. I don't have
any tape drives available for this exercise either, so I can't dump it to a
tape and restore it.

I'm sort of new to Unix, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Matthew
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org