[SunHELP] Gigabit Ethernet?

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Wed Feb 13 17:11:20 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Larry Snyder wrote:

> If they come up with the same mac address on two different ports on the
> same switch (or vlan), you'll drive the switch nuts trying to decide which
> port is right.  ifconfig -a as root will tell you if this is the case,
> and is a way to change it.  It's also an option in OBP.
> Good luck,
> -ls-

In this same vein, I need to assign a virtual interface to my 3Com NIC in
an x86 Solaris box on the same network as the primary interface.  First,
there wasn't a local-mac-address variable set at all per eeprom - I set it
anyway.  I can create secondary interfaces, but the ifconfig ether option
won't accept alternate MAC addresses.  Just for the hell of it I created a
secondary and addressed it with another IP on the same network.  It
doesn't seem to be freaking out, but for the life of me I don't understand
why.

KeS